Anyone who has been accepted onto Crawley’s Housing Register is able to use the choice based lettings scheme. If you wish to apply to join the housing register you will need to complete an application form. (you must be over 16 years of age). The Housing Register is a list of people who want alternative accommodation. This accommodation may be from the council, Housing Associations or a shared ownership property.
You should be able to join the register unless you:
• have a serious record of rent arrears or mortgage arrears (missed payments);
• have a serious record of antisocial behaviour; or
• are under immigration control
How do I get an application form to join the register?
If you think you are eligible to join the housing register you should call into the Housing Help Point at the Town Hall and speak to a member of the team. Because the council will not be able to provide housing for everyone who applies we no longer give out housing application forms unless we have spoken to you first about your housing situation and given you advice on all of your housing options. If joining the housing register is a suitable option for you we will tell you how to apply.
The Housing Triage Service is open between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Alternatively you can call us on 01293 438608 to discuss joining the housing register.
Once we have spoken to you we will give you the advice you need on completing your application to join the housing register. Along with your application form you will be asked a number of questions about your circumstances and you will be asked to provide the following documents
• Proof of identity for all household members(e.g. passports, birth certificates)
• Proof of current address (e.g. recent gas or electricity bill
• Tenancy Agreement
• Reference from your landlord
• Evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen (e.g. passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office)
When you are accepted on to the housing register we will write to tell you:
• Your unique reference number and memorable date password
• The band your application has been placed in and your priority housing date.
• The number of bedrooms you are entitled to.
You must tell us if there are any changes in your circumstances so that we can reassess your application and if necessary make changes to your band and priority date. If you do not tell us about a change in your circumstances you may not be offered a property even if you bid on it.
You can download a full choice based lettings scheme guide by clicking here.